Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Update

I haven't blogged in a month and a half because I haven't been traveling anywhere except from home to work then back home every day! A week after my last trip I started work again as an Assistant Production Coordinator on two new films being made for German TV. "Two Sisters" and "Second Honeymoon" which are adapted from books written by Joanna Trollope.
These films are being shot here in Canada which is being used as a double for Boston. The characters in the film all have American names however the language being spoken in the film is German. Since they are being made for German TV German actors and German crew have been flown in to make these films. So even though I'm not traveling at least it still feels like I kind of am because I'm constantly hearing a foreign language. It's nice to hear aside from the fact that I am working 12 - 14 hour days on these movies.
I will be blogging again soon though as I have started planning my next trip! This trip will be to Spain and maybe Portugal if I can fit it in! The plan is to go to Spain around the end of August and I am going to take a camera man with me and we are going to film the first episode of my very own travel tv show! The show is called "Travel Yourself" (www.travelyourself.ca) and I am putting all my ideas together and am planning it all myself. However yesterday I told my current boss of my plans and it turns out that she has some of her own plans for me. I am suppose to be done work around the first week of August with these German films which would give me time to prepare for my trip and alow me to have a trip longer than just one week. Apparently though I am starting on another film right away and the week I'm planning to be in Spain is the last week of Prep before we start shooting! Not so good - but at this point since I've already planned so much and I hope to be in Spain for Tomatina which only happens once a year, I think I might take the trip over the job. There will always be more jobs and there will always be more trips - so why not take the better one right? Or even better maybe they can find someone to cover for me while I'm away - sounds easy - but is a hard thing to do on a film as we aren't working that long on it to begin with! Alot can happen in one week. But travel I must!
Stay tuned this summer for more updates and exciting news!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic!We know exactly how you feel about the work dilemna.
    Dave once received an email while we were in Guatemala traveling. We agonized about coming home, but decided to cut our trip short because it was a great movie. Ended up being one of his best years.
    Another time in Borneo though, he received an email to come home and do a movie and we decided to keep traveling instead. Went for another 6 months! It didn't hurt his career though, as soon as he got home, he was on another feature with the same people.
    We have both turned down work for travel and it always seems to work out.
    I don't want to give you bad advice, but follow your dreams, if you are good at what you do, they will call.
    When we left for Africa, I was working steadily at YTV, I told them I was leaving expecting to be replaced, but after over 6 months of being away, I was right back in the loop and working non-stop.
    Good luck.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete